Skip to main content

FERN BRITTON ON ALL STAR MR AND MRS

Soon to return to ITV is classic 1970's gameshow Mr and Mrs only with an All Star twist, we spoke to Fern Britton (one of the co-hosts) about the new series.

Fern Britton was a big fan of the original series of Mr & Mrs and is thrilled to be co-hosting the brand new series on ITV1:

“It’s funny because Phillip called and said they’re thinking of doing Mr & Mrs and shall we do it together. At that stage I didn’t know it was celebrities and I said “wow that would be such a laugh,” because it’s one of those shows that’s in your mind and we all have certain memories of it.

“I think if we revisited that series now it might look a bit dated, so I just hope that Phillip and I can bring it up to date and make it popular in people’s memories again.

“I remember Derek Bately [the original host] who was absolutely lovely and immaculate. You could imagine him smelling of wonderful soap and cologne, and he always had beautiful pink shirts on. I used to love the sound proofed booth where they’d have to go and put their big headphones on and people would get really agitated about the questions, which colour is your toothbrush and so on, I absolutely adored it. It’s the simplest format which just works so well and it’s so engaging – you can’t beat it.”

If Fern could hand pick anyone in the world to take part in the show, she would love to quiz the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh:

“I think they would make fascinating interviews and to ask them half a dozen of these little questions would be so very revealing. So if your Majesty is reading this I would love that. Or Charles and Camilla – that would be good wouldn’t it?”

From the couples that really are taking part in All Star Mr & Mrs, Fern is very excited about all of them but especially a certain few:

‘William Roach and his wife Sarah will be fantastic and David Coulthard will be interesting. Julie Goodyear and her husband will be brilliant because she blows me away - I mean she’s an icon isn’t she? So just to see how she’s reacting to married life, even though they have been together for a very long time. Lovely Shane Lynch from Boyzone will be good too, apparently he’s very particular and likes things very organised and very well sorted so I’m interested to hear about that. Vic and Nancy who are the sweetest couple and very funny. Their whole persona, well when we see them anyway, is just laughing and joking and bouncing off each other in a very happy way.’

Fern is very used to interviewing celebrities on This Morning but she reveals how this prime time show is different:

“I don’t really know any of them [guests on This Morning] really well. They come in and be guests, whereas the questions we’ll be asking on this are much more intimate and much more intrusive actually, much more revealing without being horrible hard questions. Everybody who says yes they’ll come and do it obviously has a sense of humour because otherwise they wouldn’t say yes.”

Fern doesn’t have any plans to bring her own husband Phil Vickery on to the show but admits it would be fun:

“It would be fun to play with my Phil actually. I believe we are very compatible and know quite a lot about each other, so I’d be surprised if he didn’t know quite a lot about me, and I didn’t know quite a lot about him. But it would be fun to have a go, we always sit and read those newspaper and magazine quizzes together which is just such fun.”

All Star Mr & Mrs sees Fern and Phil moving into a brand new Saturday night prime time slot and Fern explains how thrilled she is to be doing this with her good friend Phillip Schofield:

‘I’m delighted to be presenting the show with Phillip, I really am because we’re daytime partners obviously, but we didn’t know each other very well at all before we started doing This Morning together. The first day he came into the studio, we’d met each other maybe two or three times that was all, never had a conversation together and we just got on like a house on fire straight away. So I’m very very fond of him and very close to him. He’s one of my greatest friends and if I was in any kind of trouble I would ask for his advice. He is a very good sounding board and a very good friend so I’m very grateful to be working with somebody who I’m that close to and can enjoy being with.”

Despite this Fern admits to feeling slightly nervous:

“Well on the night, naturally, I’ll be nervous before we actually go in to the studio and record because that’s a natural thing. But I think the thing I’m most nervous about is people not enjoying it. I want people to really love it and have an hour of fun. I want them to really enjoy that bit of entertainment and have a laugh.”

Popular posts from this blog

The Galvanized Film Group Acquires Film Rights to Tracy Chevalier’s novel Remarkable Creatures

Heather Ogilvie (Galvanized Film Group) has acquired the option to produce a feature film based on Tracy Chevalier’s novel Remarkable Creatures and will partner with Icon Film Distribution to bring it to the big screen. Academy Award nominee Jan Sardi (Shine, Mao’s Last Dancer, The Notebook) will adapt the book, which was published by HarperCollins Publishers in 2009. Tracy Chevalier is the author of five previous novels, including the international bestseller Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Virgin Blue, Falling Angels, The Lady and the Unicorn and Burning Bright. ‘I’m thrilled Tracy has entrusted to us the exciting task of adapting her wonderful novel for the screen,’ Heather said. ‘Icon Films have endorsed our conviction that this book will result in an outstanding movie by partnering with us to accelerate its development. Jan Sardi is a gifted, sensitive scriptwriter, and we’re confident he’ll deliver a script that more than lives up to our expectations.’ Tracy comments, ‘I think a

ELAINE CASSIDY ON A ROOM WITH A VIEW

The very lovely Elaine Cassidy plays Lucy Honeychurch in ITV1 splendid new adaptation of E.M. Forsters A Room With A View (adapted by Andrew Davies so expect some raciness amongst the longing glances). We caught up with Lucy recently to talk about the romantic drama. Spending hours at the piano practising with a concert pianist, Elaine Cassidy has rediscovered a childhood interest in playing, although she never had a passion for it like her character Lucy Honeychurch in A Room With A View. "Lucy lives out her emotions through her piano playing, but she isn't aware of it which is really sweet.” Explaining how she came to portray a talented pianist Elaine says: "I really can't play the piano that well. I had lessons for three years when I was young but then I lost interest in it, so I didn't practise and didn't get any further. “Tanya, my tutor on the show, was absolutely brilliant. She plays lots of concerts and seemed to have an understanding of what we we

DOC MARTIN SEASON THREE EPISODE FIVE

Former Coronation Street actress Denise Black dyed her hair bright red to star in tonight’s episode of Doc Martin. “I play Dawn Lamb, the mother of the doctor’s receptionist, Pauline. Dawn is brash and boho, so I dyed my hair red exclusively for the role,” Denise explains. But the dramatic colour change didn’t go quite as Denise had planned. “I volunteered to come on set a day early because after I had dyed my hair the colour was rather robust. The make up artists looked stunned. ”A Corrie fan who saw me when I was walking around Cornwall during filming screamed when she saw the colour of my hair.” In the fifth episode of the third season which airs tonight on ITV1 @ 9.00pm will the course of true love run smooth for the star crossed couple Dr Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes) and school headmistress Louisa Glasson (Caroline Catz) as they go on their first date? It is the perfect spot for romance: being serenaded with classical music at a concert in the stunning grounds of a country hou