Skip to main content

CAROLINE CATZ ON DOC MARTIN

Caroline Catz found the perfect way to unwind after a day’s filming on Doc Martin by joining the Port Isaac rowing team.

“I went out with the Port Isaac rowing team in the gig in the evenings after work which was great. We rowed out from the harbour right out to sea.

“I had to be right at the back so I didn’t smash my oar with someone else. I am an absolute learner and I was petrified by these giant pieces of oak- the oars.

“When someone pushes the boat off you have to hold your oar up in the air before you put it in the sea. But I was so scared I was going to bash someone over the head with my oar. They are so heavy, it feels like you are holding a tree.

“It is really hard work, tough on your arms and wrists. It is fantastic exercise, but it is also very relaxing. The first time I went I was so petrified I was just looking at the oar all the time, trying to keep it in rhythm, so not looking around.

“I had always wondered what Port Isaac looked like from the sea, and to travel along the coast on the sea. I had never done rowing before.

“When it is flat and still it is fine, but when there is any kind of choppiness in the sea that makes it really difficult, you are fighting to keep the oar in the water.”

“The sea needs to be respected. I felt really safe with the rowing team. Those people know the water so well they really know what they are doing. You knew you were in really safe hands.

“The rowing team is made up of local people and has been going since the late 80s. There has always been a tradition of each fishing village having a gig. Traditionally they were like pilot boats to steer the boats into harbour.

Caroline’s invitation to join the rowing team came when she was shopping in the surfers’ shop in Port Isaac.

“It was a beautiful evening and someone came into the shop to say they were short of people for the gig, and the owner of the shop asked if I wanted to go.

“I had watched the team go out and admired them, so I jumped at the chance.”

Caroline also caught the surfing bug while she was in Cornwall. She joined members of the crew on their evening trips to the surfers’ paradise of Polzeath. But the first time she went out on the waves nearly proved disastrous.

“I bought a wet suit and a wooden boogie board. The first time I went out I got myself into a bit of a muddle and went out a bit too deep.

“A giant wave came up from behind me and knocked me over. The boogie board jammed into the sea bed and I got smashed on top of it, right across my middle.

“The crew who were with me were looking at me with absolute horror on their faces. They said I went white and got up spluttering and crawled to the shore. It didn’t put me off, but I did buy a nice new foam board to replace the old wooden one.”

Caroline says part of the joy of filming Doc Martin is being able to enjoy a whole new life style.

“It was great spending three and a half months living by the sea. I enjoyed being out of London. It is just such a different existence. It has a completely different rhythm to it, driven by what the sea is doing rather than whether the Tube has broken down. The house I stay in when I am filming looks right out to sea

“I couldn’t envisage living somewhere like Portwenn though, it’s a bit too small for me.”

Caroline was however wooed by the different lifestyle, and was persuaded to sell her car and buy a camper van for family holidays.

“I’ve enjoyed being out of London so much and being near the sea, and I had seen these fantastic camper vans driving around Cornwall, so I decided to sell the car and buy one.

“The idea is we can leave London for a holiday when we want to. It is very exciting.”

Caroline’s character in Doc Martin, headmistress, Louisa Glasson, is highly unlikely to leave the Cornish hamlet of Portwenn. Her dreams remain focussed on a future with Dr Martin Ellingham.

Despite the doctor’s curmudgeonly manner and complete lack of romance, Louisa is still determined to have a relationship with him. Her persistence appears to be paying off at last.


“I admire her determination. She is determined because she is genuinely in love with him and she thinks it is not happening because of something about his personality that somehow she will change.
“I think there is a slight belief that she might be able to do that; that he will become more what she wants him to be when they are together. It is a classic mistake that people make: that belief you can change people.

“She wants to have a relationship with him, and she has accepted he is socially inept. But whenever she takes steps to get them together something goes wrong. It is heartbreaking for her.”

The arrival of a glamorous new woman in Portwenn who is vying for the Doctor’s attention galvanises Louisa into action. She invites the doctor to a romantic evening of classical music.

Prompted by the sense of romance in the air Louisa seizes her chance to demonstrate how she feels.

“The date at the concert goes very well. It is very romantic, the doc takes Louisa’s hand and it’s all looking quite promising. She initiates a kiss. After the kiss the doc starts to say something. Louisa urges him not to ruin the moment, but of course he manages to. For Louisa that is a really heartbreaking moment because that is when she realises she has been attempting to chase something that is never going to work.”

Louisa storms off believing there is no hope for their relationship. But she’s in for a big surprise when the doctor proposes to her just after he has saved her friend’s life.

“Louisa is in awe at how Martin has been able to bring her friend back to life. As he is leaving her house he stops in the doorway, and out of the blue asks her to marry him.

“She says yes, of course. She has been waiting three years for this moment. A drink would have done!

“It would be great to see them get together at last. We will have to see what happens…..”

Since filming the Doc Martin Christmas special last year, Caroline has taken the opportunity to spend time her baby daughter Honor and son Sonny.

Caroline’s recent television credits include The Vice, In Denial of Murder, Real Men, The Bill, Preston Front, Look Me In The Eye and The Guilty.

Popular posts from this blog

The Galvanized Film Group Acquires Film Rights to Tracy Chevalier’s novel Remarkable Creatures

Heather Ogilvie (Galvanized Film Group) has acquired the option to produce a feature film based on Tracy Chevalier’s novel Remarkable Creatures and will partner with Icon Film Distribution to bring it to the big screen. Academy Award nominee Jan Sardi (Shine, Mao’s Last Dancer, The Notebook) will adapt the book, which was published by HarperCollins Publishers in 2009. Tracy Chevalier is the author of five previous novels, including the international bestseller Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Virgin Blue, Falling Angels, The Lady and the Unicorn and Burning Bright. ‘I’m thrilled Tracy has entrusted to us the exciting task of adapting her wonderful novel for the screen,’ Heather said. ‘Icon Films have endorsed our conviction that this book will result in an outstanding movie by partnering with us to accelerate its development. Jan Sardi is a gifted, sensitive scriptwriter, and we’re confident he’ll deliver a script that more than lives up to our expectations.’ Tracy comments, ‘I think a

ELAINE CASSIDY ON A ROOM WITH A VIEW

The very lovely Elaine Cassidy plays Lucy Honeychurch in ITV1 splendid new adaptation of E.M. Forsters A Room With A View (adapted by Andrew Davies so expect some raciness amongst the longing glances). We caught up with Lucy recently to talk about the romantic drama. Spending hours at the piano practising with a concert pianist, Elaine Cassidy has rediscovered a childhood interest in playing, although she never had a passion for it like her character Lucy Honeychurch in A Room With A View. "Lucy lives out her emotions through her piano playing, but she isn't aware of it which is really sweet.” Explaining how she came to portray a talented pianist Elaine says: "I really can't play the piano that well. I had lessons for three years when I was young but then I lost interest in it, so I didn't practise and didn't get any further. “Tanya, my tutor on the show, was absolutely brilliant. She plays lots of concerts and seemed to have an understanding of what we we

DOC MARTIN SEASON THREE EPISODE FIVE

Former Coronation Street actress Denise Black dyed her hair bright red to star in tonight’s episode of Doc Martin. “I play Dawn Lamb, the mother of the doctor’s receptionist, Pauline. Dawn is brash and boho, so I dyed my hair red exclusively for the role,” Denise explains. But the dramatic colour change didn’t go quite as Denise had planned. “I volunteered to come on set a day early because after I had dyed my hair the colour was rather robust. The make up artists looked stunned. ”A Corrie fan who saw me when I was walking around Cornwall during filming screamed when she saw the colour of my hair.” In the fifth episode of the third season which airs tonight on ITV1 @ 9.00pm will the course of true love run smooth for the star crossed couple Dr Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes) and school headmistress Louisa Glasson (Caroline Catz) as they go on their first date? It is the perfect spot for romance: being serenaded with classical music at a concert in the stunning grounds of a country hou